Thursday 12 May 2011

So... That's that then...

So, my second year of uni is over, as of today!
Yey!! I'm free!

Now the problem is what I'm going to spend the rest of my summer doing!

Actually, having said that, I think the answer is quite obvious... GAMSAT revision!
Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, evidently.

But, I'm being nice to myself, and I'm giving myself the next week off!
Believe me, after the fortnight I've had, I think I've earned it.

My best friend (let's call her Daydreamer for the sake of anonymity) and I are thinking about some volunteering work at our local animal shelter.

I've been going to this animal shelter on their open days, monthly, since the start of the year.
And it's quite upsetting, if truth be told.
All these cats and dogs that people don't want, that they don't love. 
When these poor animals have clearly done nothing to deserve abandonment.

Anyway, enough of this sad talk!
I'd absolutely love to take all of the animals home! 
But I can't. Which I'm gutted about.

There's the fattest cat ever there, he's huge! 
Let's just say, I'd never met a cat with a double chin before I'd met him!
But bless him, he's still lovely!
In fact, I'd go as far as to say a legend!
You might think I'm mad, but if you met him, I'm sure you'd feel the same!

They're looking for volunteers, and Daydreamer's Mum suggested we go for it.
So I'm waiting for Daydreamer to let me know what day's best for her, and hopefully we will go for it!

I've also been trying to get some work experience at my local hospital.
For what seems like forever!
All to no avail, unfortunately.

I'm not going to give up until they let me! 
Even if I have to kidnap and lock some of their current volunteers in a cupboard.


I emailed their voluntary service back in November of last year.
I got an email back a few days later, saying that they didn't want anyone, but wishing me good luck in "my quest for voluntary work".

So, anyway, I rang up their number, by chance (or desperation) in March, and they said that they were holding an open day in April.
They were urging people who were interested to email them a completed application form.

Which I did...

And heard absolutely nothing back.

Until, my Dad spotted the open day advertised in a magazine!
It was last Thursday, but my assignments and tutorials stopped me from going...
They haven't emailed back about my application form, so obviously still don't want me!

But to be fair, when you actually go through the hospital, 
which I do quite a lot because I'm an outpatient there, 
just about all of the volunteers are over retiring age! 

I might be a little too young. Or they might be a little bit ageist.
Or, it might by my 'student-ness' that puts them off. 
I don't know.
All I do know is that the volunteers get to drive certain disabled patients around in these pretty amazing buggies.
And I want a go!


Other than lots of uni work, this past week has been fairly unexciting!
I went to the hospital yesterday, actually, and spent nearly an hour, yes that long, in the dentist's chair!
Well, orthodontist's actually
I'm a braceface, you see.
Cue days of not being able to eat properly, and getting mardy because I'm so hungry...
Yey!

And there's barely been a peep from Barry Scott either! 
Which is quite nice, I'll admit.
But I'm not holding my breath.
He'll be back to his old tricks soon.
I bet.

So I'll keep you posted about how "my quest for voluntary work" goes!
And how the GAMSAT revision goes...

Until next time!
xx